How to Delete or Deactivate Your Facebook Account
In this article, you will learn how to delete, deactivate, and reactivate your Facebook account. You will also learn what is the difference between deactivating and deleting an FB account. It happens the most when people who are using Facebook for so long and wanna quit immediately. There might be many possible reasons for leaving FB, but that is none of my concerns and I will take your straight forward to the procedure of deleting or deactivating a Facebook account.
Facebook allows users to deactivate or delete their FB account. Deleting a Facebook account is totally different than deactivating. I will show you both these procedures/differences with steps and screenshots, also the things you need to take care of before deleting an FB account. So please keep on reading…
Table of Contents
Difference Between Deactivating and Deleting Facebook Account
Let me show you what is the difference between deactivating and deleting. When you deactivate your FB account:
- It may temporarily be hiding you from your friends and the public.
- People won’t see your appearance online on Facebook.
- It is temporarily disabling your account.
- No one can find you using your email address, username, phone number, etc.
- Your timeline will be hidden from others and no one will find it.
- The best part about deactivating is you can get access to your account to activate it whenever you want to go live.
Please keep in mind that there is still some information that will be visible to users on Facebook. For example, all the text messages, voice chats, and video messages you have sent to others. It is an immediate action you can take to make your FB account disappeared and Facebook won’t delay this process. When you delete your FB account:
- Your account will be permanently deleted.
- Not you neither others can regain access to it.
- Your FB data will completely be wiped and no one can recover it.
This process takes up to 14 days after you have made the deletion request. It means that within 14 days you can cancel the request and can use your account. However, after 90 days all your data is gonna get disappeared. After you make the decision and press the delete button, all your FB information is not accessible neither public.
Some information like messages you have sent to others will remain in their account (chat) until they delete it. But you don’t worry about that, the only thing they see is your profile name as a “Facebook user”.
Access and Download your Facebook Data First
Since you’ve created your Facebook account, all of your information and data are accessible and downloadable. You can download a complete copy of your FB data and info anytime you want. However, it is a password-protected process, and only you will have access to get/download it. If you don’t know your password and want to reset it here is the process you need to take a look at. To access and review your information:
- Go to Facebook and click the dropdown arrow to expand the menu.
- Now click Settings & Privacy then Settings.
- Then click Your Facebook Information in the left sidebar.
- Click View next to Access your information.
It is better to review all of your information before deleting your Facebook account. However, you will find the below list of information there. Facebook has categorized the below info there for easy access and management.
- Posts: All of your posts you have shared on Facebook with your friends e.g your posts, posts you are tagged in, other people’s posts on your timeline, notes, and polls.
- Photos and Videos: Your photos on Facebook you have uploaded and shared, all photos and videos you are tagged in, and your videos.
- Comments: All Facebook comments you posted on your own posts including photos and videos etc.
- Like and Reactions: It includes all of your likes and reactions on pages, posts, and comments on both public and individuals posts.
- Friends & Requests: This section includes people you are connected to (mean your friends list). Request you have sent to others and received from others as well removed ones.
- Following and Followers: You will find people, businesses, organizations, pages, places, that you choose to see contents and other posts from. Also your followers.
- Messages: Your sent and received messages on Facebook and Messenger.
- Groups: Your groups on Facebook you own, membership activities, joined groups, your posts, and other comments in groups you belong to.
- Events and Profile Info: Your shared events on FAcebook, events you have responded to, and events invitations. Profile information includes your contact info, about, life, music interest, etc.
- Marketplace: All your activities on the Facebook marketplace, such as selling products on the marketplace and much more.
- Pages and Payment History: You will find all the pages you are an admin of and the payment history you have made via FB.
- Save Item and Collections: Every you have saved to watch later on Facebook, such as posts, videos, photos, events, and much more.
- Your Places: A complete list of places you have created on Facebook, such as names of the places, locations, time and date, etc.
- Apps and Websites: This information category includes your apps you admin of, posts from apps and websites and personal blogs, etc.
- Other Activities on Facebook: Last but not least this info category includes pokes you have gives and received as well as interactive videos. Moreover, other info such as Ads related, to you, search history, location details, security, and logins.
Download a copy of your Facebook information
To immediately get a copy of your FB information or data and other thing mentioned above please follow these steps:
- Go Facebook and click the dropdown available in the top right of the page.
- Click Settings & Privacy.
- Now click Your Facebook Information in the left sidebar and then click View next to Download your Information.
- Choose Date Range All of My Data, File format as HTML, Media Quality as Medium.
- Then click Create File.
- Once Done, Facebook will notify you your Data Copy is ready to Download.
- Go to Available Copies.
- Download your information and data copy.
While combining your data in one HTML file, Facebook will take time, so please be patient with that. Moreover, the download will take time, it depends on the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection. You can then view your files using Google Chrome or any other browser.
How to Delete a Facebook Account
When you delete your account it’s permanent and once you initiate the deletion process. It will take up to 30 days to complete the deletion, you can cancel the process within one month, if not then no can regain your Facebook account.
However my suggestion to download a copy of all of the information you have added on Facebook. Then follow these steps. To permanently delete your Facebook account:
- Open Facebook and click the dropdown then Settings & Privacy.
- Once you are there, click Your Information in the left sidebar.
- Now click Delete Your Account and Information.
- Click Delete My Account.
- Enter your password to confirm, then click Continue.
- Again click Delete Account.
Note that if you change your mind within 30 days and wanna cancel the account deletion then follow these steps.
Cancel Facebook account deletion:
- Just log in to your Facebook account.
- You will see the Cancel Deletion option just click that.
Please note that the overall process will take up to 90 days. After no one can get into your account and it will be deleted from the Facebook database.
Moreover, there are types of information that the FAcebook may keep even after the deletion is complete. That info includes harm prevention efforts, terms violations, legal issues, and relative info, learn more about Facebook data policy.
What happens when you permanently delete a Facebook account
The following things will happen whenever you press that Delete My Account button on Facebook.
- You and nobody can reactivate or get access to your FB account
- Your pictures, videos, likes, reactions and almost everything you have shared, uploaded, and tagged in on Facebook will be deleted
- You can no longer have access to Facebook Messenger you were using this account through
- You won’t be able to use your Facebook account in other places such as log in to web apps and blogs and email accounts etc.
- Deleting a Facebook doesn’t help you remove messages you have sent to others. Those messages will be available until that person deletes them.
- Note that sent messages from your account are not stored in your account but in the account, you have sent to.
Lots of people think that deleting their profile can help them remove their message from the other account they have sent to. But they are totally miss guided or whatever. This won’t help you at all, Yeh your name should be deleted from those chats and will display as a “Facebook user”.
How to Deactivate a Facebook Account
I love the deactivation tool on Facebook, which means I can temporarily disable the account and get disappeared. People can take a break and choose to come back get connected with my friends whenever they want. I always suggest people to not delete their account but deactivate it if they wanna take a break from Facebook. Anyways the choice is totally yours. Deactivate a Facebook account:
- Go to Facebook and log in to your account.
- Now click the drop-down available in the top right of Facebook.
- Then click Settings & Privacy.
- After that click General in the left sidebar.
- Click Manage Your Account then Deactivate your Account.
- Enter your password to confirm.
- Follow the instruction you are looking at.
Now let’s suppose it’s been days, and months and I wanna get into my Facebook account. How do I reactivate my deactivated Facebook account? Well, it simpler than you think, please follow me.
Reactivate a deactivated Facebook account:
You can simply reactivate your Facebook account using these sets: Go to Facebook. Login to your Account. You may see a Welcome back message from Facebook. That’s it, you have successfully reactivated a deactivated FB account.
You may start using Facebook the way you like. Chat with your friends, share and engage with public and friends posts, videos and photos, etc, Enjoy Facebook. If this post helps you somehow, please share it on Facebook to support us and help others.